Wednesday, June 2, 2010

habitat ~ 06/02/10 ~ Huckleberry Hill


Huckleberry Hill
June 2, 2010

What the heck does a huckleberry look like? I still need to look this up, because we kept making guesses with each vine or shrub we encountered figuring the hill was named for a reason. I would have just as easily named the place Monterey Pine Hill. According to an interpretive sign, this is one of the largest remaining native Monterey Pine forests in the world. I think "native" is the operative word in this impressive description. I'm tempted to lump this place with Del Monte Forest, but I'll continue with my previous location rules and specify by route of access.

There's a little section behind the Presidio with a bunch of yellow flags labeled with endangered species. It wasn't until we walked a little farther when we found the Yadon's piperia (Piperia yadonii) signs, but no evidence of the actual orchid.

Btw, those stairs are much easier to take coming down than going up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, I just found a flickr member in your area with some bird and critter photos I think you'd get a kick out of - most recent are fledgling red tailed hawks. Link is http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjmphotos/

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Thank you so much for the link, Janet!!! I've been looking for local biophilias online and have only found a couple in the Monterey area - which seems surprising to me (maybe I'm not looking in the right places).

Eh-hem, also thanks to you (and Erika Lea), I finally broke down and signed up for a yahoo account and Flickr. Sigh... at least I'm not on facebook anymore.

Can you believe one of the candidates this year flaunts his experience as chief legal counsel for facebook? I dunno, if I were him, I'd be quiet about that kind of thing. ; )

Katie (Nature ID) said...

ps - I'd add you as a Flickr contact, but they won't let me add any more folks until I post some pictures.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy being on flickr - its as big or little an involvement as one wants any given day or month.