Monday, March 10, 2014

habitat ~ 03/10/14 ~ Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Preserve


Once again, a casual comment on Saturday led to another nature bloggers' get-together... at least, from my perspective.  For Ken @ Nature of a Man and Cindy @ Dipper Ranch this visit was work-related.  One of Ken's CNPS friends Paul also joined us on this hike around a closed MROSD Preserve.  My first impression?  This is not what I expected of the Santa Cruz Mountains.  It was wide open and sunny.  And quiet.  Remember, I live by the ocean with an almost constant backdrop of crashing waves.  Well, it wasn't entirely quiet up in the mountains. There was the incredible sound of wind through trees, speckled with extraordinary songs of birds, and the non-stop, excited chattering of nature nuts.  I say this with complete admiration for my companions.  I was just happy to tag along for the ride.  It was a gorgeous day.  I now have more IDs than I can shake a stick at.  More to come...

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Much like the hills of Tamalpias...lovely photos...nice to think of you strolling through...

Cindy said...

Shake a 'snake stick' at them and see what happens. Bet it will make you laugh.

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Jeannette, I've stayed in Mill Valley a couple times, but never really got up the hill.

Cindy, did you see the stick Ken saw in the middle of the road and mistook for a snake? He stopped his car so fast, I worried I might have been rear-ended as I was following him.