Saturday, May 19, 2012

the Spirit of Service ~ 05/19/12 ~ Fort Ord National Monument

Charles "Chuck" Haugen

Mudhen Lake

Fort Ord National Monument
May 19, 2012

I took the opportunity right after this year's Fort Ord Army Lands tour (posts yet to come) to drive down Eucalyptus Road to Jacks Road, which were open to the public due to the dedication ceremony for the Fort Ord National Monument that was being held at the same time. I was too late for the ceremony, but it was nice to drive to a location that I have never hiked from the BLM Creekside entrance to Fort Ord. I talk about Chuck's significance for Dr. David Styer in another post from May 28, 2012.

3 comments:

Imperfect and Tense said...

Such kind words from you and the memorial. Thank you for sharing.

Cindy said...

I have been to the annual volunteer recognition event Fort Ord holds in Chuck's name with some friends but I did not know this about Chuck. We can get very passionate about eradicating invasive weeds and restoring natural lands but no-one should die for a weed. I have been talking to the California Invasive Plant Council about sponsoring a special session this year at their symposium about safety. I think I will call Bruce to find out more about Chuck and what message we might learn from his passion. Thank you for sharing this.

Katie (Nature ID) said...

You're welcome, Graeme. These were 2 posts that just needed to come together with all the multiple meanings.

Cindy, did you ever get a hold of Bruce? He's a good person to ask. I'll send you an e-mail with links about Bruce and more information.