Thursday, June 9, 2011

bernardino dotted blue ~ 06/09/11 ~ Pinnacles



bernardino dotted blue
Euphilotes bernardino
for more information click here and here

This little butterfly was mud-puddling with several others of its kind in a small area where water was seeping from the ground. As I was attempting to get pictures for a clear ID, I wiped my hand across my forehead to collect sweat and reached down for the butterfly to walk onto it. It stayed there for about 10 minutes with its proboscis probing around my finger as I clumsily tried to take pictures with my other hand. The result was a crappy photo of the butterfly and a lovely shot of a rock that looks like Jabba the Hutt.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

mud-puddling....now that is cool!!!

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Jennifer, hope you clicked on the highlighted link to mud-puddling. Imagine waking up to find a moth sucking at your eyes.

phyte club katie said...

Might not be the best photo, but the insect/human communion shines through nonetheless. Very cool.