Saturday, September 28, 2013

moths ~ 09/28/13 ~ Rocky Creek




 


Here are all the moths from night 2 of white sheet lighting.  Again, I'll add the moth IDs at a later time.  I welcome anyone who wants to help me ID these coastal moths in the comments.

I'm surprised at how sentimental I became while sorting through these moth photos.  The feeling reminds me of "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.  My only published papers were 6 checklists of moths with Sonja Teraguchi.  I googled to see if it's out there on the internet, since the pubication predates Y2K.  Hey, it's on eBay.  Cool.  I think?  It's also referenced in a paper by Roy Rings in The Great Lakes Entomologist.  Very cool.

2 comments:

Neil said...

Nice moths!

I'm guessing the top one is a plume moth and the middle is some sort of emerald, but that's not too helpful and I'll bet you had worked that much out already. The others look like LBJs (little brown jobs) to me, a group that works equally well for moths and passerines–and small mammals for that matter!

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Thanks, Neil. I'll comment again once I get the IDs, but I won't get to it this week. I'll have to remember LBJs as an out if I can't ID.