Wednesday, January 19, 2011

habitat ~ 01/19/11 ~ Fort Ord - BLM Creekside




Fort Ord - Creekside entrance
January 19, 2011

Fort Ord has become one of my favorite places to hike. It can be very green this time of year through to June. After a very wet December, we haven't had much rain and it's been unseasonably warm (77 °F this day). I expected to see more water in the vernal pool. There are still 3-4 months of rainy season left.

I have two location labels for Fort Ord BLM lands (Creekside entrance and InterGarrison entrance), but I've combined the two with others for the Fort Ord habitat - all label. Eventually, when all the munitions are removed, the Fort Ord BLM lands will include about 15,000 acres.

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Beautiful hills! We definitely don't have that terrain here...

Anonymous said...

Nice shots. This False Spring is just delightful.... there are pink trees blooming down the street opposite direction from my daily commute I need to look at this wkend... (rain coming back Sat. night....)

Katie (Nature ID) said...

twg, no hills where you are?

Janet, it's already feeling much, much cooler today. I'm lamenting not having gotten outside more during these days of 70 degree weather.

camissonia (Arleen) said...

I'm always fascinated by vernal pool habitats, as I live in the vicinity of such an area in SoCal (Santa Rosa Plateau in Riverside County). Great photos that remind me of the vistas on our nearby trails!

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Arleen, I'm glad you commented so I could find your 2 blogs - nature and food, my 2 loves.